POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Radiosity and finish : Re: Radiosity and finish Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity and finish
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 8 Jul 2002 12:48:26
Message: <3D29C26F.26C123D6@gmx.de>
Radiosity, AFAIR, doesn't affect phong and specular. Those are
lightsource dependant "faking" algorithms.

If I'm correct, specular and phong only take the surface-normal
in relation to the direction towards the lightsource and calculate
a "shinyness" based on that angle. Since radiosity isn't connected
to a lightsource, the implementation of light-directions from radiosity
is fairly difficult.

I know that there has been a thread about this some while ago,
though I do not know the group or time... So the above is what
I can recall from that thread (didn't pay much attention, actually,
cause I just thought that radiosity is just a "diffuse" lighting, thus
giving no highlights, and in reality, highlights are mere reflections
of bright objects, so the "faking" algorithms just don't work for
radiosity and highlights - hope that makes sense)....

You'll need to combine lightsources and radiosity as an easy
approach, another might be exponential fresnel reflection and
bright ambient objects as lightsources, which is probably very
difficult.

--
Tim Nikias
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde